Friday, March 23, 2012

Protection, and why it matters

Because it does. Imagine falling with no knee pads while playing derby, how would that feel? What if you were knocked down and as your head whipped backwards it came in contact with the hard wooden floor and you said to yourself "should have put my helmet on" as you blacked out? More and more ladies are opting to skate in butt pads that cover their hips and tail bones, making hematomas and tailbone pain less severe. The more I skate, the harder I push myself, the more I ask the question; "will I be able to afford the injuries that are common among those who play this sport"? The answer, is no. I have no insurance, I am unemployed. Am I stupid to be putting myself in harms way day after day; practice after practice; bout after bout? Yes. I am. In the last two months, I have seen two ambulances take girls screaming in pain off from rink floors on wooden boards, yelling "DON'T CUT MY SKATE"! I have witnessed two other girls being wheeled out to cars to be taken to the hospital. I have seen one girl calmly rubbing her leg, only later to have pins put in. Five injuries, four broken ankles, three surgeries; in two months. Assessing my situation, pros and cons. I love being on my team, working hard, and getting exercise. I enjoy skating fast and hitting hard just as much as the next girl. What if though, the next girl, hits me just hard enough, and it is me that is being taken away to rack up the medical bills with no way to pay? Are we as a derby community moving our girls along too fast, asking too much too soon without enough experience, training and strength? Are we as teams doing enough to know that newer skaters should practice, practice, practice, before being mingled in with veterans and those who are more fit? I don't know the answer. All I know is that with all the ankle injuries I have witnessed this year, I have some re-assessing to do. I can't afford to get hurt, so I need to figure that out - before my time comes, which I know it will. The "it won't happen to me attitude" that is/was being projected is quickly losing its glitz and glamor.


I am looking into ankle protection, since I can't afford to upgrade to a boot with ankle support. There are many options available, and I am going to be researching them all. Might even get some butt pads too, and heck, maybe even some chest protection. As sports progress, injuries that happen propel equipment needs to change, just look at football gear from the past and now. 
As I look to the future of myself and derby, I do not want to stop playing the game and skating fast, hitting hard. No I do not, but, I do need to play smarter; and with that being said, I need to protect myself both on the track and off.  

More protection, and health insurance. 
Period. 
The end.

Like this blog? 
Click HERE to like it on facebook

No comments: