Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The two evils of derby

...Football....How many backs have the name "Johnson" written on them?

If my last name where Johnson, and so was an opponent on the other team, would it matter? No, it would not because it actually happens quite often. What about in roller derby? Have you ever seen two girls with the same name (or something similar)? Probably not, due to the fact that there is a registry for roller derby girls that approves or denies names based upon similarity to a name or names that have been previously registered.


I have a derby name, and it was hard to decide on it because every time I came up with a name I felt comfortable with, I would check the registry and see that someone already had that name, so I would start again trying to find a special name that fit
me. I like having a derby name and introducing myself with an extended hand in a hearty shake while smiling these words from my mouth "Hi, I am...", BUT, I also agree with Engel, blogger for Sprechen Sie Derby.

Feel free to jump on over and check out what she has to say about the evolution of roller derby names for this is not the first time I have heard someone mention their views regarding the evolution of spectacle roller derby (IE, names) and the future of roller derby as a team sport. Click HERE to read Engels blog post, and no, I don't skate and blog under the same name.




Derby Derby Do! Happy Skating and Happy Blogging - Muttpuppy

No comments: