Monday, February 20, 2012

Pimp Your Skates

Yo Yo Derby Doers! Bouting season is here and she is making derby widows all across the globe. If not skating, ladies (jr's and guys) are fundraising, traveling, working out, and best of all, PIMPING THEIR SKATES! 

"Go Fast Skates" is what I love to call mine, because that is what I want to do, GO FAST! I have been happy blocking since last year when I started derby, but why limit myself to just that? This past weekend I traveled four hours to go scrimmage with a great group of ladies. What a way to spend a Saturday! Apparently, I am a jammer now, something I wasn't expecting. I blame it on my go fast skates (now to work on the go fast no back blocks). I train in high altitude, so the lower elevation may have been to my advantage...but it could also be the fact that I am slowly (as money allows) pimping my skates. 

If you have been following along here at Muttpuppy's Putting On My Big Girl Panties, then you already know that I have changed out my bushings from the stock PowerDyne that came with my Riedell She Devils and switched up my stock red tuner wheels to orange 95A wheels for wooden floor, and the 91A Atom Snaps for slippy surfaces. 

My coach likes to think that I am getting faster because I practice all the time (road, outdoor track) and exercise, but I tell him it's cause of my pimped up kicks. I did lots of research on what I wanted to do in my skating (push myself to excel beyond my current skill level) and what kinds of skate modifications would help me to achieve my goals. It did not cost me very much money (if you follow along, you will know that I am thrifty).

So, if you have aspirations of grandeur that require more than just hard work and dedication, switch up your style and pimp your kicks! Lighter plates, faster wheels, new bushings, ceramic bearings, and lighter nuts will help. Do some research, set your price points and start pimping your skates! 





"Derby Derby DO!" 
 - Muttpuppy





Like this blog? Click HERE to like it on facebook




No comments: