Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Carpet FIber



Who blogs about carpet fiber?

As those who have been following along here on Putting On My Big Girl Panties, you know that I finally got my go fast derby skates (Riedell She Devils, Radar Wheels). What you might not know, is that I lace them up on average, of every single day. I enjoy doing many leg strengthening exercises while wearing them (for additional weight and also to "become one with the skate") while watching television and performing general house chores. My concern? Carpet fibers, since the whole house is covered in rust colored carpet. I am noticing that my skates are becoming very sluggish while at derby practice, so, I will be attempting to perform my very first knock down, drag out, wheel inspection and cleaning adventure in the near future. I can only imagine how many fibers have made their way into my bearings (not to mention the dust and cat hair). I am past due on rotating my wheels anyway, so it just makes sense to do it all at once. My very first scrimmage is at the end of this month, so I need to get it done and get some speed a.s.a.p. While at derby clinic, I watched a short cleaning 101 session, so I feel as though I understand what bits and pieces I need to have on hand, but doing it myself for the first time might be interesting. Wish me luck! If you have any ticks or secrets, please leave a comment on this post.

Superior Mouth Guards! Protech Dent Mouth Guards are the only mouth guard you need to invest in, get one for you and one for your derby wife and sister! 


TIP OF THE DAY - HOW TO KEEP YOUR BOOT LEATHER STRONG (NO DUCT TAPE REQUIRED).
For those ladies out there who wonder what color of duct tape to put on the toes of your skates, and all the gals wondering "should I get a toe cup or toe strap", here is a helpful piece of information. Wear and tear of boots develops when there is friction (boot leather/floor). To prevent this, there needs to be a barrier between the leather and the floor. Grab an old rag, a tin of black Kiwi shoe polish and a buffing brush. By applying a layer of polish on the boot and brushing it to a shine, you have now added a barrier that not only protects from friction (floor/polish, no longer floor/leather) but also makes your skates shine. For ladies with white skates, you will need white polish followed by clear. Ladies with black skates and white stripes, put a layer of petrolatum jelly on the white areas before using the black polish. A quick wipe to remove the petroleum jelly, and you are now primed to apply the white to the stripes (tip - use a cotton swab).


Below is a video by a boy who shows how he takes wheels off his skates and pops out bearings to change into new wheels.
Works for skateboards too!

No comments: