Monday, December 13, 2010

"Rollin" Right Along


Superior Mouth Guards! Protech Dent Mouth Guards are the only mouth guard you need to invest in, get one for you and one for your derby wife and sister!  

The muppet movie has always been one of my all time favorites. Please watch it if

a) you've never even heard/seen it before
b) it's been awhile since you have seen it.

So, "Rollin Right Along", I am going to talk derby, newbie style. I am totally pumped to skate with my new derby family. Last Sunday I drove a total of four hours to RollerKingdom adult skate night from 7:30 - 10:30 in Reno, NV. There were some other gals from the team that showed up, as well as our coach and our referee. Four hours might sound like a long way, and it is, but not when you have skill requirements to meet. I pushed my self a little too hard from the get go, and sweated up a storm. I drank two bottles of water to hydrate but did get sick on the way home from not having enough fuel in my body and being exhausted. Oh wait, do you hear that? It's the worlds smallest violin, playing for me! lol.

Our team has had a hard time finding a place locally to skate this winter (the outdoor track is under snow), but we now have a home at the community center! Tuesday marked my very first pre-season practice with the derby girls (only fell once). For the rest of the month of December, every Tuesday from 8:30 to 10:30 I will be skating laps and doing drills on the gym floor, Boo Ya! My gear is ghetto, but my heart is in it. I dream about new skates at night, but my reality is that I am the only girl rocking sneaker looking "Sonic Cruisers" that aren't made for going fast, while sporting my snowboard helmet, and nighttime mouth guard. I laugh at myself when I look in the mirror, the trick, is to out skate the girls with the real stuff. To be accepted in this sport, you have to prove yourself in the rink, and that is that. How am I going to do it? Conditioning and Endurance Training. Don't laugh when I tell you this, but I have been working out to Billy Blanks Taebo Amped Core Express Video while WEARING skates, using the weighted amplifier bar, AND a ten pound weight vest. Might look and sound funny, but I am getting stronger! After I am done with the 30 minutes with Billy, I skate in the street and leap over cracks. I am also very lucky to have access to a pool, so I have been swimming laps as well to build up my endurance. I might not have new skates yet, but when I do get them, girls better be watching out for me, cause I want to go FAST!
For those of you unfamiliar with Roller Derby, watch this video!

No comments: